When looking for amazing tours look to the South Africa Blue Train. It is an unforgettable way to travel the country.
What to Expect
The Blue Train makes the 27-hour trip between Pretoria and Cape Town once a week. The trip is just short of 1,000 miles and includes one sightseeing stop along the way. If you fear being stuck in an uncomfortable, narrow seat for three days, stop worrying right now. Every passenger on the Blue Train receives a comfortable compartment, so you will have your privacy and a quiet place to watch the South African terrain fly by.
Some compartments have showers and others have tubs, so you can let the company know if you prefer one or the other when making your reservations. Every compartment includes a phone from which you can call your butler around the clock. Each compartment also has a television and DVD player.
If you want to upgrade your compartment for added comfort, consider a deluxe or luxury compartment. There are only a few luxury compartments per luxury carriage, so you may wan to book your upgraded trip as early as possible. The luxury suites include three compartments joined together with a tub and shower available for your exclusive use. This is a great option for comfortable family travel.
When you are ready to get out of your compartment, visit the lounge car or have a meal in the dining car. You receive complimentary alcoholic beverages throughout the trip, and you can visit the rear lounge car to enjoy complimentary tea and cakes. This lounge car also features a massive observation window.
Tips for the Journey
1. Try the “chocolate pot” dessert when you enjoy your meal. This dessert has reportedly been praised by Nelson Mandela, and it may become one of your favorite indulgences as well.
2. Check online for special deals for South African tours. You can sometimes snag a free night in a luxurious South African hotel just for riding the Blue Train. There is a special deals club that you can join free of charge to ensure you receive discounts on a variety of luxury train trips.
3. Multi-course meals are served aboard the Blue Train, but not all options may fit your special dietary needs. If you need a kosher, vegetarian, or otherwise special diet, make sure to inform the company when booking your train trip.
4. You can smoke cigarettes and cigars in the club lounge.
5. The lounge car serves cakes and tea and features a massive viewing window. It is a good place to go when you feel restless and want to get out of your compartment.
Important Stops and Sights
The Blue Train is designed for weekly trips between Pretoria and Cape Town, but chartered runs are available as well. The chartered trips always start out in Pretoria, but you can go to Durban or Hoedspruit instead of to Cape Town. This gives you greater variety when deciding when to ride the Blue Train and how to fit the ride into your South African vacation.
Since your ticket on the train includes one sightseeing stop, you can expect to see South Africa up close without planning to get off the train early. If you need to get off before you reach the final destination, talk with the company when making your travel arrangements to ensure that is possible.
When it comes to South African tours, the Blue Train can’t be beat.
- Why Scenic Vacations are Best by Train
- Train Vacation Adventures to Explore the World
- How Train Tour Packages Make For Easy Trip Planning